Started Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) today. It was basically an introduction to what it is all about. I am looking forward to getting this going and improving my life and life skills.
Here is a brief overview of what DBT is:
There are 3 stages of treatment. Before the 3 stages is Pre-Treatment, which is orientation and commitment. I did that today.
Stage 1: Attain basic capacities
- Suicidal and parasuicidal behaviors
- Therapy interfering behaviors
- Major quality of life interfering behaviors
4. Behavioral skills
- Interpersonal effectiveness
- Emotion regulation
- Distress tolerance
Stage 2: Reduce Post Traumatic Stress
Stage 3: Increase self respect and achieve goals
The modes of treatment are:
- Individual therapy…………. 1hr/week
- Group skills training………. 2hrs/week
- Phone coaching ………………as needed
- Therapist consultation…….. weekly
Right now I am doing individual therapy. I am on the list to start Group Skills training late February early March. The Group Skills training is once a week for 15 weeks. Seems pretty intense. I usually don’t finish things I start, so this will be a slight challenge that I am ready to take on. I usually don’t finish things, either because I get bored or aggravated, so we’ll see how it goes.